Sunday, July 6, 2014

Week 36

Hello! We've had quite an enjoyable week these past seven days. Lots of good things and miracles happen every week. To start off with, you'll never guess where I'm writing this from! Transfers were this week, and they got delayed a few hours, but it turns out that........I'm still in Sibu. As expected. In fact, only one person in our 10 elder district got transferred. So that's fun. We did get a new elder in our house, and he's been in KL Zone for most of his 3 transfer mission so far, so that's fun. On Monday, so few people showed up to family home evening, that we just joined a party an Iban branch was holding and got lots of food. It was fun. Malay speaking missionaries have such a different experience than we do. But that's what exchanges are for, I guess. As far as the missionary work is concerned, we've seen some good things. We met with more investigators this week than I ever have in Sibu. And it's looking like that will continue to increase. Unfortunately, our less active work is still a bit stagnant. We'll keep trying to find less actives who are willing to meet. One idea we've been implementing is Book of Mormon reading charts that track the days you read or the chapters you've read. One investigator who took multiple weeks to read one chapter has read one every day since she got hers. We know that if they read and understand, they will get a witness of it's truthfulness. We also had District Conference this week. The mission president and his wife spoke, and they had lots of great words for the members here. It was a bit crazy due to the number of people, and especially children, but it was good. Another great experience was a lesson where an investigator said he'd go home and "study a bit" from the Book of Mormon before he'd make a decision as to whether it is true. That's all we ask, though, that he ask, seek, and knock. We're excited for him to receive a witness. One small disappointment was having a flat tire on Saturday night prevent us from a couple appointments on Sunday. But it allowed us to talk to different people, so maybe the Lord was just guiding us to do His will. I hope you know that I love my mission! It's really been the best time of my life. I'm especially grateful for the recent focus we've had on the Book of Mormon. That Book truly will bring us closer to Christ than anything else can. By reading, understanding, pondering, and living its teachings, we will have happier lives, more full of the Spirit. I'm starting to read it yet again in both English and Chinese alongside my investigators and members, and I encourage you all to do so, as well. President Hinckley once said, “Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will [read the Book of Mormon], … there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God” It's the best book on the earth! The end. Well, I hope you all have a great week. I know I will! Love, Elder Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment